Are you planning to sell your home this coming spring? Before you hang out your sign, there are several things you must do to stand out from the competition. Since late spring and early summer are prime property selling seasons, there are thousands of homes on the market as spring transitions into summer. At Home Avenue, we’re here to make your home sale as simple and satisfying as possible. To that end, here are a few things we think you should consider before you put your home on the market:
Work the Competition
Winter’s dreary days and chilly nights have finally passed, and homebuyers come out in droves after their long wintertime hibernation. Hoards of potential buyers might sound exciting, but as a seller, you should know you’re one small fish in a very large pond.
Late spring and early summer are historically the most popular times of year to list for-sale homes in Minnesota. So, when prospective buyers view your property, you need to know they likely have several options under consideration. With that fact in mind, you’ll need to do your very best to impress—and to set your pricing competitively with other properties in your area.
Working with an established realtor on your home sale allows you the expertise of a market professional, so you won’t struggle to price your home according to current market value. With a flat-fee real estate service or FSBO MLS listing service, you get the benefit of high-level exposure and industry connections that help you sell your home quickly and for the best possible price.
Curb Appeal Is Everything
Once you’ve got your realtor nailed down, it’s time to dress (your home) to impress. Since first impressions are everything when it comes to buying a home, you’ll need to take every last detail into account when preparing the exterior of your home. Here are a few things you can do to set the right tone from the moment prospective buyers pull up outside your property:
- Clean up your yard. Remove all winter debris and any lawn furniture that clutters up your outdoor space.
- Spruce up the landscaping. Add new mulch around plants, trim foliage, plant annuals for extra color appeal, and if you have water features or a pool, be sure to clean the water thoroughly.
- Power wash. Power washing your driveway and walkways can do wonders for curb appeal. If your home’s siding can tolerate it, power washing the outside of your house can remove years of dirt and grime.
- Paint touch-ups. Examine the exterior of your home for fading, peeling, or chipping paint. Perform paint touch-ups, if necessary.
- Hardware upgrades. Replacing your home’s exterior hardware can do wonders for its appearance, and it’s a relatively inexpensive upgrade. Think: door handles, gutters, downspouts, address numbers, etc.
Since you no doubt spent substantial time indoors over the winter, it’s time for spring cleaning! When you’re trying to sell, you don’t want your personal clutter to distract prospective buyers from appreciating your home, so store personal artwork, photos, and decor. A few basic aesthetic touches, such as throw rugs, bouquets, and shelving are fine, but anything super unique or personal can distract viewers from imagining their own possessions inside the space.
You’ll also need to clean your home from top to bottom, so if you’re short on time, we highly suggest hiring a cleaning service to do the job for you. When you’re trying to stand out in a competitive real estate market, every last detail must be on point.
Home Avenue: Expert Flat-Fee Realty in the Twin Cities
At Home Avenue, we’ve been assisting home sellers in the Twin Cities for over 30 years, and we’re ready and waiting to facilitate your sale, too. Our flat-fee real estate service ranks in the top 1% out of 1.4 million realtors nationwide, which means you can trust we’ll help you have the best home selling experience possible. To learn more about our flat-fee MLS listing service or our FSBO listing service, give our team a call at 952-929-7355, or feel free to reach out to us on our contact page.